I definitely did not watch Highlander before making this strip.
You know how some words look really weird after you stare at them for a while? Unique is one of them, ironically*. YOO-NI-KWA…UN-EYE-KAY…I need some sleep. I should mention that although there are no degrees of uniqueness, you can have more unique characteristics than something else. For instance, the blue X has one unique quality, but the pink X has three (pink, bold, and underlined): XXXXXXXXX. Somewhat relevant and interesting: are snowflakes actually unique?
When I told my girlfriend I made a panel with eleven characters that were the same, she said, “I’m sure they’d beg to differ.” :) Anyway, this really isn’t a word I correct people on. We all know what they mean, and it’s a pretty minor error.
* Ironic that it’s just like the rest. Someone call me out on the definition of ironic, I dare you.
Which ones are correct, if any? Post your answers in the comments!
- I love my skunk, but your wombat is more unique!
- Cloud Gate makes Chicago unique.
- I love Mitch Hedberg, he had such a unique brand of comedy.
- The most unique thing about George is that his car used to be owned by Jon Voight.
Direct link for embedding: http://www.grammarcomic.com/files/grammar-block-003-unique.jpg